STARTING

1998 Nissan Maxima

porthos1

December, 5, 2009 AT 11:32 AM

1998 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 151000 miles

when I go to start the car it dies right away. Several times in a row. Only way it will stay running is if I push the gas pedal a little and it will run. I do get a gassy smell coming out of exhaust and the engine.

December, 5, 2009 AT 12:25 PM

Hi porthos1,

Thank you for the donation.

This seems to be an idling or misfiring problem.

Is the Check Engine Light showing?

Does the engine stall while cruising?

Does the engine run with lack of poswer?

porthos1

December, 5, 2009 AT 12:38 PM

No sir. It doesn't stall or seem to lack power. I just turn the key and it starts but dies.

December, 5, 2009 AT 1:12 PM

The other 2 questions were not answered so I am assuming that they are no as well.

The idling speed is most likely too low and the usual cause is a dirty throttle body and Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. Get them cleaned and retest.

porthos1

December, 5, 2009 AT 4:45 PM

You say you can clean them. How do I go about doing so? I have found the part at auto part store to replace, but it is around $160. Is it really possible to clean it.

December, 6, 2009 AT 12:35 AM

If you do not have the Check Engine Light light indicating, it is possible to clean the throttle body and IAC. Get a can of carb cleaner, ( this cleaner is applicable for both carb or injection component cleaning).

Did you try adjusting the idling speed? Here is a diagram of the idle adjust screw location. Turning it counter clockwise would get the idling speed higher. If idling speed is slow to increase, you might need to clean the internal port of the passage as dirt restriction would reduce the air gong through to maintain proper idling.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_IdleAdjust98Maxima6cylFig10_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_CompEng98Maxima6cylFig01_1.jpg

Remove the air intake hose and spray some carb cleaner into the internal passage and let it soak for a few minutes. Use a piece of rag to scrub the internal port with the throttle plate fully opened.

Remove the IACV-AAC and clean the internal parts with the carb cleaner.

The Fast Idle Control Device ( FICD ) solenoids located at rear left of of engine compartment should be cleaned as well.

After installation of components, initial starting of engine might take longer due to the additional presence of the carb cleaner causing a richer than normal condition. It would be ok after that.

Remember to adjust the idling speed only after the engine has warmed up.