ROUGH IDLE

1998 Nissan Maxima

Borqua79

November, 23, 2009 AT 4:42 PM

1998 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I'm a novice when it comes to car repair, but I seem to have a rough idle while the car is stopped in gear. I would have to change to neutral to keep the rpms steady. This happens in reverse also. But when I'm at highway speeds the car seems fine. I checked the codes and I have a small vacume leak evap and maf code. I noticed that the rubber seal between the MAF and filter is missing and dirt might have gotten in? Is the Mass Airflow sensor cleanable? I bought a MAF cleaner and am hesitant to use it? I also figure the evap code has something to do with the bypass valve and carbon canister. These seem to be common problems?

mhpautos

November, 23, 2009 AT 4:45 PM

Hi there,

You can clean the MAF sensor, just follow the instructions and you should be fine, check all the vacuum hoses and have the EVAP system checked, a tune will also help if this has not been done, start here and re post if you need more assistance.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8