ENGINE IDLE

1996 Nissan Maxima

tchocolatedrop2

May, 14, 2008 AT 5:47 AM

1996 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

What could possible cause my engine to be idled very high. I noticed it started one afternoon when I put my car in reverse and has since then been idled up when I put the car in drive. Would could be the problem. Thanks in Advance.

May, 14, 2008 AT 5:51 AM

Too fast an idle speed. If an engine without computerized idle speed control is idling too fast and refuses to come down to a normal idle speed despite your best efforts to back off the carburetor idle speed screw or air bypass adjustment screw (fuel injection), air is getting past the throttle somewhere. Common leak paths include the carburetor and throttle body gaskets, carburetor insulator spacers, intake manifold gaskets, and of course, any of the engine's vacuum fittings, hoses and accessories. It is even possible that leaky O-rings around the fuel injectors are allowing air to leak past the seals. Another overlooked item can be a worn throttle shaft and a defective idle speed speed control motor/valve stuck in the extended (high idle speed) position/throttle position sensor.

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L