HIGH IDLE AND SUSPENSION WANDERING PROBLEM

2005 Nissan Maxima

flytdad3

November, 26, 2011 AT 6:25 AM

got a 2005 nissan maxima. At start up it idles to 2500rpm for about 2-3 seconds. Then it drops to a more normal 1500. Can the initial start rpm be adjusted? Also the steering is overly sensitive. It wants to shake out of my hands if I hit a pothole or even a large seam in the road. Seems hard on the engine, the steering seems to really want to pull left or right on uneven roads or very dramatically when you hit a pothole or even seams in the road.

rivermikerat

November, 26, 2011 AT 6:29 AM

There should be an idle air adjustment screw on the throttle body.
Have the alignment checked. How are the tires wearing?

flytdad3

November, 26, 2011 AT 6:26 PM

Thanks much for the imput. I'll look into the air idle screw. The tires are wearing evenly which is why it seems so unusual for the steering to be so overly sensitive in either direction.

rivermikerat

November, 27, 2011 AT 3:20 AM

Block a rear wheel. Raise the front wheels clear of the ground. Turn the steering wheel completely one way and grasp the steering rack bellows boot until you can feel the tie rod socket and steering rack. Have someone shake the steering wheel back and forth enough to cause the front wheels to shake. The rack and tie socket should move completely in unison. If the rack moves before the tie socket/wheel, the inner tie socket is bad and should be replaced. Do this on both sides. Next, squeeze the outer tie rod ends firmly. You should not be able to induce any up and down movement of the tie rod in relation to the steering knuckle. If you do, the outer tie rod end is bad.

Either of these parts can cause the problems you mention.

flytdad3

November, 27, 2011 AT 7:09 AM

Can't thank you enough! I'll get on that tomorrow. Great just to have a direction to go in. Much appreciated!

rivermikerat

November, 27, 2011 AT 7:19 AM

Let us know what you find out. Open a new question for new issues, though.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars