2000 Nissan Frontier brake lights stay on

GENEQ
  • 2000 NISSAN FRONTIER

Brakes problem
2000 Nissan Frontier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 227000 miles

I installed a new battery and now the brake lights (both tail and high) remain on at all times even with ignition switch off. No warning lights show on dash. I have removed the fuse to save battery

It is a 2000 Frontier XE 4 cyl 2.4 L.

Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 12:31 PM

IMPALASS

Thanks for the information to better assist you the Desert Runner SE or XE, or the Frontier SE, or XE are fine cars with any engine size.

When was your last brake job and did you change your rotors or have them turned? I am currently reviewing TSBs for your vehicle why you provide this information.

+1
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 8:17 PM
GENEQ

I was about two years ago. The rotors were replaced. I have had no problems until the battery was replaced yesterday.

Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 10:01 PM
IMPALASS

I am not sure at this point if the battery has anything to do with the brake switch as it does not seem to be connected, it may just be a coincident.

So for now let's not think the battery/brake lights are connected and focus on just the brake light.

Check your brake light switch on the brake pedal. It may be out of adjustment or broken internally. Try the adjustment below, but first before working on the brake pedal adjustment make sure the switch is okay. Pull up on the brake pedal and see if the switch plunger is sticking in and pull it out as far as it will go and see if the lights go out. If they do not then press the brake pedal and release see if they stay on and check to see the distance of the plunger to the pedal and again ensure the pedal is out verse the switch is bad.

STOPLIGHT SWITCH & AUTOMATIC SPEED CONTROL DEVICE SWITCH
1. Both switches are located below dash panel, at brake pedal bracket. Adjust brake pedal height. See BRAKE PEDAL HEIGHT and BRAKE PEDAL FREE PLAY.
2. Check clearance and position of switches. Clearance between brake pedal stopper rubber and threaded end of switch should be 0.01-0.04" (0.25-1.0 mm). To adjust, loosen lock nut and turn switch body. After adjustment, tighten lock nut.

BRAKE PEDAL HEIGHT
Check brake pedal free height "H" and depressed height "D" from floor panel to top of brake pedal pad. See Fig. 2. See BRAKE PEDAL HEIGHT table. To adjust brake pedal height, loosen lock nut and rotate brake booster input rod. Tighten lock nut to 12-16 ft. Lbs. (16-22 N.M). Ensure rod tip stays inside input rod clevis.

BRAKE PEDAL FREE PLAY
Brake pedal free play "A" should be 0.16-0.47" (4-12 mm). See Fig. 2. To adjust, loosen lock nut and rotate brake booster input rod at clevis. Tighten lock nut to 106-133 INCH lbs. (12-15 N.M). Ensure stoplights go off when brake pedal is released.

Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 11:31 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey GENEQ,

It does sounds like the brake light switch here is a diagrams on where it is. Also there is no relay so you don't need to worry about it sticking on.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Thursday, December 8th, 2016 AT 11:01 AM