STARTER PROBLEM ON MY 200 SX

1998 Nissan 200SX

jbelew

July, 2, 2009 AT 10:07 PM

1998 Nissan 200SX 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

I just changed the alternator and battery yesterday and drove the car around for about 45 minutes to get my emissions checked and the guy turned the car off and then on again and then I drove around to the front office and parked for about 5 minutes and the car wouldn't start. The radio, horn, lights, dash lights, cig lighter, everything worked but you didn't hear anything from the engine, no click or anything at all. I let it sit overnight and it started right up. I was looking in the engine and it looks like I have to take off the whole intake manifold to gain access to the starter. Is there an easier way?

July, 3, 2009 AT 1:20 AM

Before you drop the starter try remote starting the starter and see if it can crank the engine over-Let me know what happens.

jbelew

July, 3, 2009 AT 1:09 PM

There is no remote for this car. The car will start after it sits over night. Just not after it has been running for a while and someone yesterday said something about it getting hot because it could be going bad since the alternator and battery where only a few hours old when the problem first presented itself.

July, 3, 2009 AT 3:42 PM

What I meant by remote starting it is by shorting the terminals on the solenoid.

Someone yesterday said something about it getting hot because it could be going bad since the alternator and battery where only a few hours old when the problem first presented itself.

Maybe the drive belt is loose-if its getting hot

jbelew

July, 3, 2009 AT 3:50 PM

I can barley reach the starter with the tip of my fingers after winding my arm through the engine. I could maybe get something on the two bolts on the back side of the solenoid. Back side being the side that inserts into the engine.

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006