SQUEALING

1996 Nissan 200SX

adavis91

May, 20, 2009 AT 1:48 AM

1996 Nissan 200SX 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 187000 miles

ok so when I drive my car really hard the engine squeals, LOUD and like a pig. Its horrible. Its only when the car is on the road. Not a lift. And its only when the car is warmed. When it is off of a cold start the noise isn't there. The squeal only occurs from 5,000 rpm and above. And it only happens when i'm hammering down on it. Any idea?

mmprince4000

May, 20, 2009 AT 7:28 AM

Have you check the drive belts and tensioner?

Especially look for any contaminants, like oil or coolant, if you see any, clean all the pulleys with brake clean, let dry and find source of contamination.

Also have someone rev engine while you observe drive pulleys, look for any wobble in the pulleys.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/108325_200sx_2.jpg

If pulleys are OK, then try this:

Raise car, put on stands. Grasp tire and push/pull both horizontally and vertically, if any movement then possible wheel bearing, ball joint, tie rod, control arm bushing.

Check CV boots for any signs of leakage or cuts/rips in rubber boot.

It may be a bearing that is causing the squeal. If you find any movement after doing the above, then a bearing may be running dry.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front