New Noise after my brakes and rotor were replaced

APRILMAY
  • 2008 MAZDA 3
I recently had my brakes and rotor replaced and the first time I drove my car after the new brakes were installed, I had an unusual new noise when driving my car.
At first the noise only occurred when I was slowing or coasting to a stop. The noise was a chunk/thump -like sound and seemed to be rotational. KaaaLunk. KaaLunk. KaaLunk.
I called my mechanic and he was not concerned, but I did schedule an appointment to have the car looked at/repaired. In the meantime, the noise has gotten worse. I have limited my driving since receiving the new brakes and a new noise, but did freeway driving this weekend. Each time I decelerated, it sounded as if I had a mini jackhammer under the hood. I am no longer driving for fear that driving may cause more damage to my car or leave me stranded in one hundred plus degree temperatures. Do you have a good idea what is causing this to occur?
Sunday, July 24th, 2016 AT 1:26 PM

SATURNTECH9
Could have left loose a caliper pin bolt or caliper housing bolts loose. That is what it sounds like if I was the guy I would be concerned with your safety and the safety of others. I have seen those boots left loose then the caliper hits the inside of the wheel and locks that wheel up.
+1
Sunday, July 24th, 2016 AT 2:21 PM
APRILMAY
Hi Saturntech9.
I was able to get my Mazda back to the shop today and you are absolutely correct! The noise was loose calipers, which were tightened today and all seems back to normal. I asked my mechanic if the loose calipers did any damage to the car or new brakes since I've been driving for a few weeks since the brake replacement. He assured me that the car is safe and that no damage was done. I hope this is correct!
+1
Monday, July 25th, 2016 AT 4:10 PM
SATURNTECH9
I have seen the threads for the caliper housing bolts get messed up from them rock back and forth from being loose. So was he more concerned when he saw what the problem was?You said he wasn't too concerned when you called to report the problem
+1
Monday, July 25th, 2016 AT 5:46 PM
APRILMAY
I very much appreciate the information and will look into a 2nd opinion regarding possible damage done by the loose calipers. When I asked my mechanic if I was overly concerned about the noise, he replied "No, it's good that you came in. Something was loose." I asked what was loose and he then told me it was the calipers. I realize now that it was quite dangerous for myself as well as other drivers and pedestrians for me to operate my car as it was. Thank you for your expert information!
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 AT 9:14 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome were here to help please tell all your friends about us.
+1
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 AT 9:25 PM
APRILMAY
I will! Thank you!
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 AT 9:52 PM