Neutral Safety Switch keep going bad

WORNOUT4WD
  • 2001 ISUZU RODEO
I have had at least 6 Neutral Safety switch's installed on my Rodeo. The last one was replaced 3 days ago and went bad this morning! The symptoms are the dashboard gear selector indicator does not synch with the actual gear I am in. I have the vehicle in Drive, but the dashboard indicator says I am in Park. When I turn the key off and restart the engine, the light doesn't come on at all anymore, and the car shifts hard and downshifts hard.I have no idea what can be causing the switches to keep burning out!
Sunday, November 30th, 2014 AT 3:03 PM

HOMER1967
Do you have a check engine light on? This doesn't sound like a neutral safety switch issue to me. It sounds like a t.C.M. Issue or speed sensor issue. Let me know about that light.
Sunday, November 30th, 2014 AT 3:29 PM
WORNOUT4WD
No codes. Transmission light doesn't come on. No check engine light. Had a new switch installed last Tuesday, Switch went bad on Sunday morning. At $265 a pop, I am just at a point of not knowing what to do with it. No one seems to know what is causing them to stop working.
Monday, December 1st, 2014 AT 5:08 AM
HOMER1967
I suspect that you have a faulty t.C.M. Have you tried to take it to a transmission specialty shop?
Monday, December 1st, 2014 AT 5:24 PM
WORNOUT4WD
Yes, they are going to check the wiring harness to see if there is a short somewhere.
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014 AT 4:22 PM
HOMER1967
That's good. Please let us know how it turns out.
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2014 AT 6:33 PM
WORNOUT4WD
I will. This has been an ongoing issue with this vehicle, and as far as I can tell from researching the internet, electrical problems are fairly common with Rodeo's.
Thursday, December 4th, 2014 AT 5:04 AM
HOMER1967
Yes, please let me know how it turns out.
Thursday, December 4th, 2014 AT 10:15 AM
WORNOUT4WD
Well 3 switches and a lot of frustration, I went about 6 months without any problems, until this morning. I backed out of a parking space, and the switch went out. Something about Putting the vehicle in Reverse after it has set parked overnight, causes the switch to go out. Every time it has gone bad, it happens if I put the transmission in reverse and back up when I first start it up after sitting overnight.
+1
Thursday, March 3rd, 2016 AT 10:15 AM