Information is rather vague in our database and here are the procedures.
REAR AXLE SHAFT
1. Remove rear brake drum. Drain gear oil from rear axle housing by loosening drain plug. Remove rear wheel bearing retainer nuts from axle housing. Remove wheel speed sensor from rear axle housing (if equipped with ABS).
2. Ensure there is clearance between rear wheel bearing retainer and parking brake shoe lever. If there isn't clearance, loosen cable locking nut further to obtain clearance. Using a brake drum remover and a slide hammer, draw out axle shaft.
3. On vehicles equipped with ABS, remove sensor rotor from retainer ring. Use a grinder to grind one part of the sensor rotor until it is thin. Use a chisel to break sensor rotor and remove.
4. To remove bearing retainer ring from axle shaft, grind bearing retainer in 2 places and use a chisel to break retainer ring.
5. Remove retainer ring from shaft. Remove bearing from shaft by using a hydraulic press. Remove wheel studs using a hydraulic press.
Sunday, July 7th, 2013 AT 3:40 AM