MITSUBIS REPLACE TIMING BELTS

1983 Mitsubishi Van

DesFD

June, 1, 2010 AT 3:41 AM

1983 Mitsubishi Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I am in the process of replacing the two timing belts, however the right hand balance shaft belt can only be replaced by removing the outer crankshaft sprocket and shield. These are held in place by a main bolt torqued to 70 pounds.I need to find a way to hold the crankshaft stationary while loosening this bolt.I tried putting the transmission into first gear, however I am concerned that the high amount of torque required to release the bolt may do damage to the transmission. The only exposed part of the crankshaft is the sprocket which has four M12 bolt holes to fix the crankshaft fan belt pulley. Should I try to make up a bracket to bolt on to this, or will this possibly damage the sprocket?
The only other way is to remove the sump pan and to lock the crankshaft internally. Could you offer me some advise?
Des

mhpautos

June, 1, 2010 AT 4:14 AM

Hi there,

Remove the starter and lock the ring gear with suitable lever, best if you have a helper to hold this in place while you undo the bolt.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX