2000 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE BURNING OIL

• denearau
  • 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 267525 miles

This car runs really great, I commute 200 miles each day for work and notice that the oil runs low after about 2 weeks. Is this normal or should I do something about it.

Also I hear and feel on the passenger side a rubbing notice when I turn the steering wheel almost all the way to the left. When physically inspected all seems okay is there something that may be going - need replacing.

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 9:51 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

If you drive 200 milles per day, that is 2000 in two weeks. Honestly, if it is using a quart of oil in that mileage, I wouldn't be concerned. I can't mention the manufacturer, but on their new cars, they consider a quart of oil in 1500 miles normal, and you are pushing 300K.

As far as the rubbing sound, does it chance with speed? Does it sound like ribber, metal?

Let me know.

Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 12:37 AM
  • denearau

No it is not speed related. I am usually moving at about 10-15 miles an hour and taking a sharp corner. My husband thinks that it could be the Inner Tye Rod (not sure if I spelled it correctly)

Thanks for your response on the oil situation.

Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 8:29 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

I wouldn't worry about the oil. Just keep if full. As far as the noise, I don't think it could be a tie rod unless it is so bad that it allows the tire to rub something. Make sure the steering components are good and tight, the front brakes are good (they have a sensor that can make a rubbing noise), and check wheel bearings for play.

Let me know what you find.

Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 3:37 PM
  • denearau

Joe, the brakes are fine although when I am 'speeding' and try to slow down the wheel shakes and the car pulls to the left. My hubby thinks that the front calipers need changing.

All in all I am very happy with this car it works really well and is so reliable.

Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 6:57 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If you feel a vibration in the steering when slowing down, the rotors are the problem. As far as the pulling to the left, make sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted.

Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 3:52 PM