2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse timing belt

LOGJAM28
  • 2002 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170k miles

My son's Eclipse timing belt broke while driving down the road. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is an interference engine, and valve/piston damage may have occurred. I haven't replaced the belt yet, to find out, but I was wondering if I would be wasting my time by replacing the belt.
Thursday, March 26th, 2009 AT 12:37 PM

MONTY STEPHENS
Oh yeah, all of the Jap overhead cam engines (seems like that is all of them) are interference engines.

If you all have is a few bent valves, consider yourself lucky.

May as take the head off and have a look. There is nothing else you can do.

I need some 02 parts, if you decide to junk it.
Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 12:14 PM
LOGJAM28
Thanks for the reply. I did start to dig into it last night. I pulled the valve cover, and spun the cam around, and I didn't notice any valves hanging open (not to say that there's no damage), and none of the rockers got loose during the rotation. I'm feeling a little better about it, but I do understand that I'm not out of the woods. I did find that the counter balance shaft belt was broken, and I'm thinking that it went first, and debris got into the sprocket for the timing belt, and took that out. Thanks again for the reply.
Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 12:26 PM
TYGERRED
I have a 2001, came home last night, got up this morn car won't start, turns over fine but moter won't start where would you start?
Monday, April 27th, 2009 AT 4:04 AM
MONTY STEPHENS
I'd start by seeing if codes are in the computer.

I'm betting its either electrical or fuel related. Fuel being the easiesit to rule out. Turn your key on off 2-3 times, then press the xerx fitting on your fule rail and see if fuel sprays out, it if does its developing good pressure and most likely ignition. Turn the motor over several times and pull a pluig or 2 and check if they are wet with gas (not water) This will r/o the fuel pump.

If you ensure that you have fuel, then you need the codes. The computer may have decided to quit on you. Seems like mots other sensors would make the car run crappy for a while and not just shut down so sudenly.
Monday, April 27th, 2009 AT 8:27 AM