MITSUBIS BLUE SMOKE.

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse

sfleming

April, 13, 2010 AT 9:49 AM

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 116979 miles

my car is blowing blue smoke from the exhaust occasionally when it's decelerating. I think its my valve stem seals but idk? Any message about how to change these? Also oil is coming out of my valve cover seal.

Blue Smoke

Blue Smoke

April, 21, 2010 AT 10:08 AM

Hi sfleming,

Yes, most probably the valve seals are bad.

The normal way to replace the seals are to rremove the cylinder head and perform valve lapping and replacement of the seals.

Alternatively you can remove the rocker arms and with plugs removed, apply regulated compressed air into the cylinder to enable the valve springs to be removed without the valves dropping into the cylinders. Valve seals can be removed and replaced.

The valve cover seals can be replaced at the same time.

sfleming

April, 29, 2010 AT 8:09 AM

Alright well every body is telling me it's not that, its my oil rings? How do I know?

April, 29, 2010 AT 8:19 AM

For a start, engine nowadays seldom have problem with the oil rings. The valve seals would account for at least 70 % of the smoke.

If it is a fault with the oil rings, the blue smoke would be intense mostly at high rpms.

For valve seals, the smoke would be present at cold start and would decrease. Revving the engine would increase the smoke.

sfleming

April, 29, 2010 AT 8:26 AM

Well thank you.

April, 29, 2010 AT 8:59 AM

You're welcome.

Have a nice day.

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla