1998 Mitsubishi Diamante Engine will turn over but will not

JEFFELECTRIC
  • 1998 MITSUBISHI DIAMANTE
I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Diamante with a 3.5 L V6 SOHC engine. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump and the engine turns over but will not start. I found that when I replaced the belt that my timing marks were off so by trying to start the engine I could have bent the valves. I have taken both valve covers off and there was no slop on the rocker arms. I also took a compression test and # 1 piston had 195 lbs, #3 piston had 210 lbs, #5 piston had 200 lbs, #2 piston had 210 lbs, #4 piston had 205 lbs and #6 piston had 205 lbs, of pressure so I think my valves are OK. What else could be causing the engine not to start.
Thank You
Jeffrey Kaczynski
Thursday, January 24th, 2008 AT 5:12 PM

Are you getting both spark and fuel, if so double check the valve and ignition timing you could be 180degs out.
-1
Thursday, January 24th, 2008 AT 6:46 PM
JEFFELECTRIC
My # 1 piston is at TDC and all my timing marks line up.
-1
Thursday, January 24th, 2008 AT 6:54 PM
Type of ignition system: Distributor/Distributorless/COP?

No.1 piston on TDC did you verify both intake and exhaust valve are closed-should not be in a rocking position
Thursday, January 24th, 2008 AT 7:16 PM
JEFFELECTRIC
The ignition system on this car has a distributor.

Jeff
+1
Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 7:57 AM
Okay -remove the no.1 sparkplug-you can use any method-I use my index finger and seal the hole while I burst the engine to get to TDC -line up the markings at the pulley to TDC and check the rotor's position-it should be pointing directly under the no.1 cap tower if not the no.1 is not on TDC
Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 9:29 AM
JEFFELECTRIC
Hi,
I took a long thin screwdriver and placed it in the spark plug holee and turned the crankshaft until #1 piston was al the way on top. At this point my timing marks on both cams and crankshaft were right on. I took off the distributor cap off and the roter is just barley starting to go on to the #1 firing plug.

Thanks Again
Jeff
Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 6:10 PM
Loosen the distributor and turn it till the no.1 cap tower is exactly on top off the rotor tip.

I took a long thin screwdriver and placed it in the spark plug holee and turned the crankshaft until #1 piston was al the way on top. At this point make sure that both valves are closed-not rocking. If its rocking ist on the exhaust stroke.
-1
Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 9:11 PM