Is possible to convert it from FWD to AWD?

JACOBPAULSEN
  • 2003 MITSUBISHI GALANT
So I have the car listed above ES model with an inline four cylinder. I was wondering if it is possible to convert it from FWD to AWD and where to buy the parts to do this?
Thursday, April 1st, 2021 AT 11:04 AM

KASEKENNY1
Yes. This is possible on most all vehicles but I don't show this being an option for your vehicle. That means this is extremely more complicated. This means that you have to now source the parts that will fit your vehicle and fabricate the parts needed to hold them in place. In other words, because this was not an option, I would not try it. If an AWD option was available for this vehicle then it would be just a matter of getting the parts and they would bolt up but again, I would not try this.

It would be far easier to purchase a vehicle that is AWD and sell this one as is.

I attached the options below showing that FWD is the only option. Let me know if you have other questions on this. Thanks
+1
Friday, April 2nd, 2021 AT 7:03 PM
JACOBPAULSEN
Now I know of the VR4 trim in England and Japan but it was not made in 2003. Could I import parts from a 2000 Galant VR4?
Monday, April 5th, 2021 AT 10:08 AM
STEVE W.
The JDM and Euro versions of the Galant are very different and only share the same name. The chassis is different between an AWD and FWD and has the points on it to install the rear differential and AWD suspension and the mounting underneath to mount the drive shaft. Plus the fuel system is different as the AWD driveshaft runs through a notch in the fuel tank that you don't have. Then you would need to change the transmission and engine as the transmission with AWD option won't bolt to the US engine.
Then once you get the mechanical system in you would need to rewire much of the car to make the new pieces work as the BCM/PCM are also different.
So while it could be done, the only part of your current car that you would be keeping would be most of the body shell. If you are in any of the places that require emission or safety inspections those will be another hurdle as the car was never offered as an AWD option that year, so now it's going to be a custom build and has to meet current standards.
+1
Tuesday, April 6th, 2021 AT 12:00 PM
JACOBPAULSEN
When I start my car the belt squeaks really bad we have tried to replace the belt. It started happening after the engine was rebuilt. If anyone has any idea of what it could be let me know. It has gotten to the point it takes 5 minutes for it to stop.
Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 AT 7:51 AM
STEVE W.
Try eliminating the belt itself, remove it and start the engine, no squeak = Look at each item the belt drives and see if the pulley or tensioner turns freely. Examine the belt itself and make sure it is in good shape. If you still have the squeak with the belt off, there is a problem internally with the engine.
Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 AT 8:39 AM
JACOBPAULSEN
I don t trust myself to do that it s bad you can t start it with the hood open or it damages your ears it s as loud as a flipping rape alarm if not louder
Friday, April 16th, 2021 AT 8:12 PM
STEVE W.
Just remove the front accessory belt and start it. If the loud squeal is gone you shut off the engine and start hunting on the accessories. If the squeal is still there then you have a worse problem, the description sounds like a metal on metal issue, but it could easily be something like a stuck alternator or idler and what you hear is the belt dragging on it.
How about this, take a video of it and post it. That alone would help. Then shoot a close up video showing the drive belt and as many of the items it drives like the idlers, alternator, power steering and such with the engine off, that may also help.
Friday, April 16th, 2021 AT 8:46 PM
JACOBPAULSEN
Will do that tomorrow
Friday, April 16th, 2021 AT 8:48 PM
JACOBPAULSEN
It sounds so bad I have no idea what it is
Saturday, April 17th, 2021 AT 9:43 AM

Sponsored links