HEAD GASKET OR NOT?

2004 MG ZR

Rameen

March, 17, 2010 AT 4:20 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2004 MG ZR 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 36000 miles

I was pushing the car maby a bit to much the other night, started to smell burning but engine was not overheating. Not long after the coolant light came on. I checked and it was low, I filled it up and took it out for a drive everything seemed ok. The next day the coolant was lower only just past the " min" line, took it for a drive, everything seemed fine, opend the hood to find the coolant level had moved for towards the " max" line. There is no " white mayo" under oil cap or coolant cap, the interior heater still works. There is white fumes for about the first 10 mins of the drive then they go away, is this a sign of head gasket failure?

March, 17, 2010 AT 5:39 PM

There is white fumes for about the first 10 mins of the drive then they go away, is this a sign of head gasket failure? Sounds like coolant is leaking in to the cylinders and when the engine comes up to its normal operating temperature it seals the leak due to metal expansion. I recommend you get it block and pressure tested to find out more.