F ENGINE STALL

1998 MG MGF

red1998mgf

1998 MGF 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

hi there

I recently had a crash in my 1998 s reg mgf. I slid on any icy road and collided with another car. This occured arund december 20th 2009. Since then the car has not been driven. I have repaired the body work ( new front bumper, new bonnet, new lights)

I also replaced the battery because the old one had drained due to non-use.

I took the car for a spin today for the first time and a few things happened. After about 10mins of driving I stopped the car. When I started it again the steering was really stiff and the power steering warning light came on. I turned the engine off, waited a few minutes, started it again and it was fine? Then I drove home and when I got near the house the engine stalled suddenly? Since then I have driven it up and down my drive way a few times and the engine would suddenly stall. This happened a few times. The last time I took it for a spin nothing happened? I am concerned though because of the previous engine stalls!

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

February, 2, 2010 AT 11:40 AM

Hi red1998mgf,

Thank you for the donation.

When the battery is removed, the PCM loses its memory and it has to relearn before it will operate normally.

During the process of relearning, some of the components might not function correctly until the relearn process is complete.

Start the engine without any load, ie alll electrical components OFF and let it run till operating temperature is achieved, cooling fans comes on.

Turn AC on and let it run for a few more minutes and take it for a spin to test if everything works normally.