FRONT END NOISE

2001 Mercury Zephyr

thomashanan

July, 27, 2010 AT 1:42 PM

2001 Mercury Zephyr 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 98,000 miles

the car makes a vibrating and clicking noise at 40 mph. Could the problem be a cv shaft?

merlin2021

July, 27, 2010 AT 2:14 PM

Cv joints do click when bad, but the noise usually is first heard going around corners, check the hub bearing. Any recent work?

thomashanan

July, 29, 2010 AT 1:56 PM

I repaired the cv joint and the car still makes the vibrating noise. Yeah, I was thinking hub bearing too. Do I need a whole new hub or just the bearing?Are the bearings easy to change?Whats involved in changing it?

merlin2021

July, 29, 2010 AT 3:03 PM

I can't look up Zephyr, not a US model, by comparison, what is the closest US model? In general terms, you need to remove the axle nut, then jack up the car, separate the lower ball joint, pull the wheel outward, with tire removed, until the axle slides out, then remove the three mounting bolts from the inside, then tap the hub off, it is a one piece design and isn't too difficult, just mind the ABS sensor and ring gear, the brake caliper may need to be removed to allow the spindle enough room to swing out far enough to remove the axle. MOST FLM cars bolt from the inside, check yours first, you might save a lot of work if it bolts from the outside!

Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy
Replace Tie Rod End
Upper Control Arm Replacement