1. Depress the parking brake pedal, and warm the engine to the normal operating temperature.
CAUTION: Parking brake control should be applied.
2. Turn off all electrical loads.
3. Rev the engine to 2000-3000 rpm two or three times and allow the engine to return to the idle.
4. Turn off the engine and disconnect the throttle position sensor electrical connector.
5. Start the engine and rev it to 2000-3000 rpm two or three times and allow the engine to return to the idle.
6. Check the idle speed. The idle speed should be between 700-800 rpm in PARK (P) or NEUTRAL (N) position.
7. Check the ignition timing with a timing light.
NOTE: Make sure that the timing pointer is pointing to the 15 Before Top Dead Center (BTDC) mark on the crankshaft pulley. Each notch on the crankshaft pulley represents 5 degrees.
8. If the marks are not aligned, loosen the distributor bolt and turn the distributor to make the adjustment. The ignition timing should be between 13 -17 BTDC.
9. Tighten the distributor bolt.
10. Turn off the engine and connect the throttle position sensor electrical connector to the throttle position sensor.
Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 8:21 AM