FUEL PUMP WORKS, BUT DOES NOT PUMP FUEL!

Mercury Tracer

nikoniko

September, 6, 2007 AT 2:19 PM

Okay, so we have a 93 Mercury Tracer 1.9L with 78,000 miles, automatic.

A little history.

The car was bought used 6 months ago with a known problem with the cooling fan. The relay was found defective, replaced, and the cooling fan worked!

However, later, the fuel pump quit working. So it was removed, yet it was determined beyond all doubt that the unit was functioning. The fuel filter was replaced, and wiggling the fuel rail caused fuel somehow to start flowing again momentarily. Why, oh, why is the car telling the fuel pump not to work? THere is juice at the pump, but when it's supposed to pump fuel, it doesn't. There is a safety switch at the rear, but it remains open.

Now as far as the cooling fan goes, the relay keeps frying at the base where it connects to the box. Could we have a related electrical issue or just bad luck?

F150

Fuel Pump Relay

merlin2021

September, 6, 2007 AT 2:25 PM

What happens to the power to the pump when the fan relay blows?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_93_Tracer_copy_1.jpg

With the relay in car, you should hear it click to energize!

msam311

October, 4, 2007 AT 10:30 PM

The tracer has a " ccrm", or constant control relay module located underneath the air filter housing. It is basically a unit with three relays in one. It controls the engine cooling fan, the ac compressor and the fuel pump. It is possible for one " leg" of the unit to go out and the other two to work OK. I had that problem with my 99 tracer cause my ac compressor wouldn't run, but the other two things worked OK. I replaced it for $38 at a junkyard, now everything is AOK. That could be your problem. : -)

wynrypen

November, 26, 2007 AT 12:59 PM

Do you still have this problem?

Replace Fuel Pump Relay
Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement