1989 MERCURY TRACER FUEL

• jrjones4dub
  • 1989 Mercury Tracer

1989 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94567 miles

I first noticed my fuel guage not always reading on the dash, it did this for about 2 weeks and one day on the way home it just stopped as if I ran out of gas, now the tank was filled the night before. Well it would not start nomatter what. I checked for sparks from all distributers and coil overs( they are good) I change fuel filter and then it started and drove about 2 miles just fine and then started doing the same thing. The difference is that I could start it every now and then. So I put a new fuel filter a few days ago, same thing. Worked for about 30 min and went out again. I notice anytime I really try to accelerate the care chokes or dies. If it is in nuetral I can rev. It to redline without any problems, but the second I put in drive, CHOKE or DIE. Please advise. Thanks

Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 AT 4:36 PM

• rasmataz

Well it would not start nomatter what. I checked for sparks from all distributers and coil overs( they are good)

Check the fuel pressure it should be 64-85psi to rule out the fuel pump and regulator

Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 AT 5:20 PM