Donnelly rear view mirror

ARTON28
  • MERCURY SABLE
The rear view mirror in my Mercury Sable (1995 3.8 L V6 162,000 miles) has fallen off the windshield, now I need to remove the "button" from the bracket in order to reattach it to the windshield the problem is I cannot find a way to remove the button from the mirror it is a Donnelly model 2410 I know most normal mirrors have a small screw that holds the button in place this one doesn't, please help
Saturday, March 24th, 2007 AT 5:47 PM

PIGGYPYE
Hey-- did you ever figure out how to get the button out? I'm having the exact problem. Please contact me piggypye@yahoo. Com if you have an answer. Thank you!
Friday, June 8th, 2007 AT 4:42 PM
ARTON28
Yeah I did finally figure it out a while ago there is a small gap at the bottom of the button you will have to push a small long rigid piece of metal (such as a screw driver) in the gap kind of hard while pulling the button toward you. The person that designed this mirror hid a clip under the button just to make it difficult When the mirror falls off.
+3
Friday, June 8th, 2007 AT 10:34 PM
BINGDICKLEPUSS
I was searching for information on my Donnelly model number 240 and I found this thread, and it helped, but I thought I might add something.

The appropriate way to remove the button on this particular mirror is actually to twist and remove it rather than to try to push it straight back. The clip inside wraps around an "anchor" that is elliptical (oval shaped). The wider part is on the left-right axis, so when you twist the button 90 degrees, you align it with the narrow part of the oval so that the button slips right off.

Still, it is pretty hard to twist the button with just your hands. I stuck a screwdriver in the slot between the button and the mirror part for leverage and it twisted off pretty easily.

P.S. My car is a 1999 Subaru Forester L AWD.
+2
Saturday, June 19th, 2010 AT 10:36 PM
MILLAMANG
**** YOU DONNELLY **** YOU! Anybody want to go in further with this demounting of the mirror. Possibly a video or something. This small gap are you talking about at the very bottom? Do you slip a thin metal piece towards the rest of its body thru the small gab or straight up at the ceiling where that little groove is?
Friday, March 11th, 2011 AT 1:14 AM