Fan won't come on?

JEFFWRIGHT1955
  • 2001 MERCURY SABLE
The fan won't come on, and there is anti-freeze leaking, a large amount. Why?
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 3:41 PM

SATURNTECH9
The first thing I would fix is your large coolant leak then trouble shoot your cooling fan. If you go to auto zone you can rent a cooling system pressure tester and the adapter's to screw onto your coolant bottle. Then you can pump up your cooling system to find the leak. It's a free rental you just have to leave a deposite. Let me know when you have that leak found and we will go from there.
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 4:34 PM
AARONTW
  • 1999 MERCURY SABLE
I recently busted my lower radiator hose and all my radiator fluid came out. My cooling fans stop working when that. I just replaced the lower hose and put fluid In it. Fans still are not work. What my be the problem
Saturday, April 25th, 2020 AT 12:39 PM (Merged)
Maybe you popped a fuse for the cooling fan? I'll have to check out fan wiring?
Check fuse 9--40 amp, underhood fuse box. Go from there.
GMASON002
  • 1997 MERCURY SABLE
The car is a 97 motor 96. After the car sat for 3 yrs I did the engine swap. The was some mice damage noticed on the seatbeats. Coolant fans would work unless I unplugged the cts. I've replaced with new the ccrm, cts, temp. Sensor for the gage and thermastat. All new coolant w/ flush. The only things I haven't changed is the water pump and pcm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
KHLOW2008
The fans would work only when the coolant reaches a certain temperature. Is the engine overheating and fans not coming on?
Do they come on when the A/C is turned on?
GMASON002
They don't come on when the a/c is on and the temp gauge will sit at the top end of hot just below the red line. It hasn't boiled out any coolant. Before I changed engines the temp gauge never went above half way on normal.
GMASON002
I had it running for about 45 mins at an idle. Reving up to 3500 rpms at times trying to get the fans to come on.
KHLOW2008
Here are the cooling fan schematics.

Start by checking the fuses, relays and wiring connections.
DALLASMIKE52266
  • 1997 MERCURY SABLE
The fans dont run and ac dosent come on either
KHLOW2008
Oops
Are you saying the radiator fan/s don't work? Have you checked for voltage and ground at the fans.
Did you check the cooling fan fuse, underhood fuse block? Not only check the fuse, check for voltage on the fuse circuit.

Can you check for applicable trouble codes? Some of the national brand auto stores will check codes for free. You may need to check the coolant temp sensor?
INEXXXCESS
  • 1995 MERCURY SABLE
The radiator cooling fan does not come on and the engine overheats. I purchased a temperature switch, but I cannot find any information on where this switch is located or that it even actually exists other than the store had the part listing. I have hooked up the fan direct to the battery and the fan worked. I am pulling my hair out. The temp sensor registers in the car. Can you help me with this delema. And the fuses are good.
OBXAUTOMEDIC

The switch is located on the top of driver side or top rear of engine intake manifold. If you have the new one just look for the one that looks like it.

Also have you check what is called a Constant Control Relay Module. It is located on the upper radiator support about center way.
INEXXXCESS
I found all of the sensors that you are refering to but they are all bigger than the temp switch that I purchased. This switch is about 1/2" across at the threads and the other sensors that I can see anywhere on the engine are probably 3/4" across. I did not check the module and I will do that. Could it be that this is the wrong switch? This part came up for the car, but there was no information concerning its replacement. I had two different stores check and cunsulted a Hains manual for the car and the manual didn't even list this part, nor did it even address the issue of the fan not working other than the belt or the fan motor. Ill go back and double check the switch.
Saturday, April 25th, 2020 AT 12:40 PM (Merged)
OBXAUTOMEDIC

Yes, it is possible you got the wrong sensor. The part number I come up with for both the 3.0L engine and the 3.8L engine is a NAPA Number TS4060.
WAGSK1
  • 1995 MERCURY SABLE
The cooling fan on my sons car will not come on. I can hot wire the fan to the battery and it will work on either low or high speed. I checked the voltage going to the resistor block and I am getting 12 volts before and after the block when the motor warms up or the a/c is on, but as soon as I plug the fan harness back in I stop getting voltage to the fan. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also I forgot to add that my a/c clutch keeps cycling on and off about every 5 seconds.
KHLOW2008
Hi wagsk1,

Thank you for the donation.

Here is a schematics for the cooling fans.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_CoolingFan95Sable01a_1.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_CoolingFan95Sable01b_1.jpg

Check through the following and see if you can come up with anything.

ELECTRIC COOLING FAN FUNCTION CHECK
1. Start engine. On models with A/C, turn A/C on. Ensure A/C clutch engages. On models without A/C, run engine until cooling fan begins to operate. If cooling fan(s) do not operate at any fan speed, perform QUICK TEST .

2. If a trouble code is indicated while performing QUICK TEST, perform appropriate test. If after performing QUICK TEST, a Code 111 (pass code) is displayed and no other codes exist, go to next step.

3. Enter output state Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM). See ADDITIONAL SYSTEM FUNCTIONS . Once output state DTM has been entered, ensure all outputs are off. Depress throttle (near wide open). Wait for Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) to flash once (about 10 seconds). Release throttle.

4. Cooling fan should run at low speed (LFC). Depress throttle to turn fan off. Depress throttle again. Wait until MIL flashes 2 consecutive times (about 15 seconds). Release throttle. Cooling fan should run at high speed (HFC).

Exit output state DTM. If cooling fan(s) do not operate as specified, perform appropriate test. If cooling fans operate as specified and vehicle is equipped with A/C, check A/C Pressure Switch (ACPSW).

QUICK TEST
NOTE: Procedure given is for reading codes using an analog volt-ohmmeter. When using a scan tester, use tool manufacturer's instructions.

Turn ignition off. Set VOM at 0-15V DC range. Connect positive lead of VOM to positive battery terminal. Connect negative VOM lead to Self-Test Output (STO) terminal of Data Link Connector (DLC).

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_DLC95SableEEC_IVFig01_1.jpg

Connect timing light, and go to KOEO SELF-TEST . Activate KOEO SELF- TEST by connecting jumper wire from Self-Test Input (STI) pigtail to Signal Return (SIG RTN) terminal of DLC with ignition on.

ADDITIONAL SYSTEM FUNCTIONS
Output State Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM)

Output state DTM is used as an aid in servicing output actuators associated with EEC-IV system. It allows technicians to energize and de-energize most system output actuators on command. This mode is entered from KOEO SELF-TEST after all codes have been retrieved.

Disconnect cruise control servo (if equipped). With DVOM on 20-volt scale, connect DVOM negative lead to STO/MIL terminal at Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC). See Fig. 1 . Connect positive lead to positive battery terminal. Connect a jumper wire from Self-Test Input (STI) pigtail to Signal Return (SIG RTN) terminal at Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC). Turn ignition on.

Perform KOEO SELF-TEST until continuous memory test is complete. DVOM will read less than 1.0 volt when test is complete. Depress and release throttle. If voltage increases, output state DTM has been entered. If voltage does not increase, depress throttle to WOT and release. If STO voltage still does not increase, go to CIRCUIT TEST QC.
-1
WAGSK1
I did the tests you asked with no luck. Installed a new cooling fan assembly, I was checking the connectors on the wire harness to the ccrm and by accident I jumped pin 7 and 8 and the fan came on. So where do I go from here? I was also able to try a new ccrm from a friend at an auto parts store and that still did not help.
-1

Sponsored links