1997 Mercury Sable No fire at spark plugs

DDG1976
  • 1997 MERCURY SABLE
I have troubleshot the car as much as I can. The fuel pump engages (by having the ignition turned to the on position with my ear at the filler tube I can hear the hum of the pump). Pulled a plug wire and turned the engine over with the screwdriver in the plug wire near the car body, no spark. Pulled a plug and reinserted it into the plug wire and cranked the car, agian with no spark. Any deas on what could be wrong? I have also checked every fuse under the dash and under the hood.
Friday, September 26th, 2008 AT 11:32 PM

Test for power at coil pack-if okay check the ignition control module/crankshaft position sensor.
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 4:22 AM
DDG1976
I put a new coil pack on it from autozone today, still no spark, how do I check for power at the coil pack, and how do I check the ignition control module/crank trigger? Keep in mind I have to seperate the upper and lower intake and remove the throttle body to even get to it.
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 12:51 PM
Check the white and light blue wire at the coil-no power check the fuse no.10 20amp.

The other two you need to bring it in and get tested-
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 2:58 PM
DDG1976
I ended up taking off the crank sensor, new one was only $12.99 so I figured I'd replace it anyway. That was the problem, car cranks and runs fine. Boy, they try thier best to hide those things don't they? Act of Congress just to get to it. Thanks for your help.
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 3:33 PM
You're welcome and thanks for the donation-The CPS plays a major role on distributing spark -it tells the computer what cylinder is ready to fire and in turn tells the igniton module to fire the coil.
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 4:29 PM
DDG1976
I probably should have started with the CPS, because of a prior oil leak at the oil pressure sensor. It soaked that area of the block pretty good. Oh well, it has a brand new coil pack on it now, maybe no worries in that area for a while.
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 5:07 PM