2004 MERCURY MONTEGO

• 2twins
  • 2004 Mercury Montego

Brakes problem
2004 Mercury Montego 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 58800 miles

My husband replaced the brakes, rotors and calibers. How does he properly bleed the brakes? They feel mushy and are almost to the floor board.

Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 3:54 PM

• merlin2021

Fill the master, then open the bleeder screws, wait for the fluid to drip out, close bleeder(s). Ump pedal and check firmness, if this needs more bleeding, have someone get in the car, push the pedal down, open the bleeder, close bleeder, let pedal up, repeat until only fluid comes out, no air. I will say when it comes to doing brakes, some one with this knowledge is better person to do the job. Safety is important and we want our car to stop, as much as we want it to go!

Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 4:00 PM
  • 2twins

We did all thay. And it still is not right.

Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 6:15 PM
  • merlin2021

Problem is by bleeding without knowing what you are doing can cause problems with the master cylinder. If you push too far and hard on high mileage cars, the seals can be destroyed inside the master, or the rear brakes also have problems, was the pedal mushy before you did the front brakes?

Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 AT 2:47 AM