FLOOD GOT ME I THINK?

1997 Mercury Marquis

ewallace07

August, 1, 2010 AT 4:35 AM

Noises problem
1997 Mercury Marquis V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70,000 miles

drove through some unavoidable standing water in a recent flood. Car was not submerged nor did it stall. But there is a whistling noise I cant get rid of I sprayed belt frip but did not work any ideas

mhpautos

August, 1, 2010 AT 5:50 AM

Hi there,

A whistle is more (excuse the pun) in tune with a vacuum leak, I would be checking this first.

ewallace07

August, 1, 2010 AT 5:57 AM

It becomes louder and more frequent as I accelerate, and I know whatever it maybe it is directly related to driving through standing rain water cold that be the vaccum leak?

mhpautos

August, 1, 2010 AT 6:02 AM

With a vacuum leak there will normally be some idle concerns, higher idle or a rough idle, have you checked all the belts for tension and condition? Belt grip is not a great idea as the muck is so stick, it will pick up road grit and damage belts, check for any loose or cracked vacuum hoses and check the belts, you can also remove the belts and run the engine, if the noise is gone, it will be belt related.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW