FUSE KEEPS POPPING

Mercury Cougar

miki001me

September, 12, 2006 AT 6:26 AM

The fuse that controls the headlights and dashboard lights keeps popping on my 99 Mercury Cougar, 110000 miles. An after market stereo was installed (poorly) by the previous owner. I have taped up all the exposed wires, but it still does this. There seems to be no set pattern. It can pop after 2 seconds or take weeks. The last time it was fine for two months and I thougth I had it fixed. Any suggestions?

merccruiser

September, 18, 2006 AT 12:01 AM

I have the same problem in my 84 Grand Marquis. I believe it has something to do with the way ford/mercury series their fuses. This is the only car ive owned that has this problem.

halfcalf1979

February, 4, 2007 AT 1:05 AM

I had that problem and just finally took it in dont do what I did and put in a bigger fuse. Cost me lots more in the long run : (

merlin2021

March, 5, 2007 AT 4:27 AM

The car has a short, if you don't know how to trace shorts, either scrap the car or take it to a qualified guy!

merlin2021

March, 8, 2007 AT 2:51 PM

Have you guys unplugged the connector to the light switch and looked at it? Try it!

merlin2021

March, 8, 2007 AT 3:57 PM

Make sure the radio installer didn't put the radio on the light cicuit!

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Replace Muffler