2002 Mercury Cougar EGR VALVE

Tiny
JOSHUA1979
  • 2002 MERCURY COUGAR

Engine problem
2002 Mercury Cougar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 26000 miles

I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE/REPLACE THE EGR VALVE IN MY 2002 MERCURY COUGAR V6 DOHC 2.5L. A DIAGRAM AND/OR PICTURES WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL. CAN YOU GUYS HELP?

Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 4:10 PM

15 Replies

Tiny
MASTERTECHTIM
  • MEMBER

Why are you replacing it?

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 4:30 PM
Tiny
JOSHUA1979
  • MEMBER

Simply Because My Light Is On:evil, And I Want My Car To Run/Operate Right. Can You Instruct Me As How To Replace And/Or "Fix" My Problem? : A Diagram, or Some Pictures Would Be Helpful.

Thanks A Million 8)

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
-1
Wednesday, February 6th, 2008 AT 8:06 PM
Tiny
MASTERTECHTIM
  • MEMBER

99 out of a hundred times the problem is not the valve, so if you would let me help you in your situation I will be glad to. But for me to spend the time to walk you through replacing a egr valve that does not need to be replaced seems a little redundant. Do you have a code for insufficient flow? Too much flow? Just trying to help.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, February 6th, 2008 AT 8:25 PM
Tiny
JOSHUA1979
  • MEMBER

The service rep. At auto zone said the code he pulled up when he hooked up the diagnostic machine was for insuffecient flow, and he told me the E.G.R. Valve needed to be replaced. He also suggested cleaning the piece, and he said something about plunging around the area when I took out the E.G.R. Valve. Do I simply need to clean the piece, or will I have to replace it? Either way, I still need to know how the location of the E.G.R. Valve on my car, and then I can remove/replace/and/or clean it. Please Help if you can.

Joshua

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, February 7th, 2008 AT 8:25 PM
Tiny
MARECHEK33
  • MEMBER

Did you ever find the location of the EGR Valve? I need to replace mine too, same situation. Thanks

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
-1
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 9:56 AM
Tiny
MASTERTECHTIM
  • MEMBER

The problem is not the egr valve its likely to just be the egr pressure sensor. This sensor has 2 rubber lines going to it from the exhaust system and this is what sets the code. The sensor is held in by 2 little screws and the rubber hoses attach to it. Hope this helps

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 5:18 AM
Tiny
MARECHEK33
  • MEMBER

How do you know if it is the valve or the sensor then?

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 8:20 AM
Tiny
MASTERTECHTIM
  • MEMBER

You can apply vacuum to the valve and see if the engine idle changes(lower or stalls) or you can bet on the odds. 99 percent chance sensor is bad. 1 percent chance egr valve is bad. I have probably replaced the sensor 100 times opposed to never replacing a egr valve if that helps you make a decision.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 9:24 AM
Tiny
BLUEJEWEL
  • MEMBER

If the sensor is bad would this cause my car to be stuttering when stopped?

Please advise when I went to auto zone they stated that it was the EGR Valve aftering reading this it may be my sensor just trying to figure out if that would make my car stutter when stopped.

Thanks

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 9:30 PM
Tiny
GREYHEN
  • MEMBER

A STICKY EGR VALVE WILL CAUSE SURGEING AND DRIVABILITY ISSUES. IT MAY OR MAY NOT SET A TROUBLE CODE AND LIGHT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE THE VALVE IS STUCK AT.

IT TAKES ABOUT 1/2 HOUR TO CHANGE. AND COSTS ABOUT 135 DOLLARS FROM FORD I HAVE THE PART NUMBER IF YOU NEED IT I CAN GET PHOTO, S IF YOUSTILL NEED THEM

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 5:30 PM
Tiny
NOSC
  • MEMBER

I hope you are seeing this BEFORE you dropped all that cash on parts. I have a 02 cougar with the 2.5 duratech and was also getting the 401 code. The chances of it being your EGR Valve are very very slim.
There is a chance it could be the DPFE/ Backpressure sensor. The easiest way to tell if it is the DPFE is your MPG will totally bottom out.
I replaced 6 of them, they can also be bought at Advanced Auto / Auto Zone. These are the EXACT same parts that Ford will sell you but only at half the cost.
IF your mpg hasnt bottomed out then the cause of all of my issues was the Throttle Body was clogged with carbon, not allowing the EGR to do it's job of recirculating exhaust gases back to be reburnt.
Go to about any parts store buy you a throttle body gasket. Like 3 bucks. Oh and a can of SeaFoam also wouldnt hurt.
But dont waste your money throwing parts at it like I have get the throttle body cleaned.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 1:44 PM
Tiny
JENCC
  • MEMBER

Was searching around this morning to see if this is a common occurance for '02 cougars.

My '02 2.5L V6 Cougar just began doing this VERY same thing not more than a week ago (sputtering/hesitation/skipping) with no warning lights. Thankfully, myself and my brother-in-law are rather skilled with cars - and upon a basic review with no problems (battery, hoses, vacuum, wiring, censors, filters, etc.) We dove deeper this weekend to discover my EGR valve is sticking open - and cleaning has not done the trick - hence a replacement.

It is an extreme case to actually have to replace it - and I would not reccomend anyone jumping to it as an immediate solution as most are saying here - there are so many different reasons why this would happen. Doing the homework and testing parts first before you start racking up the bill will leave you less disgruntled in the long run. :) Good luck!

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
-1
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 10:11 AM
Tiny
COUGARGIRL02
  • MEMBER

OK My car is stuttering at take off and while sitting in gear at a stop signal. We replaced the DTPE sensor and its STILL doing it. Also still reading code P0402. Where is this EGR sensor located on a 2002 mercury cougar.I have looked all over and cannot find a manual for this car ANYWHERE. HELP!

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
-1
Sunday, May 31st, 2009 AT 6:35 PM
Tiny
COUGARGIRL02
  • MEMBER

JenCC. How much of a pain was this to fix. Cuz if its only a $100 part.I can deal with that. But with this car sitting so low makes it kinda difficult to climb under and fix.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, May 31st, 2009 AT 6:41 PM
Tiny
AMEVOLUTION
  • MEMBER

This is a nice pic showing where the EGR valve is located, and what it looks like, among other sensors.

The DPFE (Differential Pressure Feedback EGR Sensor) controls the opening and closing of EGR valve depending on signals from PCM.

Diagram 1 EGR is Number 4:


http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/418583_2000_Cougar_EGR_2.jpg



EGR System Diagram:


http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/418583_EGR_System_1.jpg



1.The Differential Pressure Feedback EGR system receives signals from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor, Throttle Position (TP) sensor, Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor to provide information on engine operating conditions to the PCM. The engine must be warm, stable and running at a moderate load and rpm before the EGR system is activated.
2. The PCM deactivates EGR during idle, extended wide open throttle or whenever a failure is detected in an EGR component or EGR required input.The PCM calculates the desired amount of EGR flow for a given engine condition. It then determines the desired pressure drop across the metering orifice required to achieve that flow and outputs the corresponding signal to the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid.
3. The EGR vacuum regulator solenoid receives a variable duty cycle signal (0 to 100%) . The higher the duty cycle the more vacuum the solenoid diverts to the EGR valve.
4. The increase in vacuum acting on the EGR valve diaphragm overcomes the valve spring and begins to lift the EGR valve pintle off its seat, causing exhaust gas to flow into the intake manifold.
5. Exhaust gas flowing through the EGR valve must first pass through the EGR metering orifice. With one side of the orifice exposed to exhaust backpressure and the other to the intake manifold, a pressure drop is created across the orifice whenever there is EGR flow. When the EGR valve closes, there is no longer flow across the metering orifice and pressure on both sides of the orifice is the same. The PCM constantly targets a desired pressure drop across the metering orifice to achieve the desired EGR flow.
6.The differential pressure feedback EGR sensor measures the actual pressure drop across the metering orifice and relays a proportional voltage signal (0 to 5 volts) to the PCM. The PCM uses this feedback signal to correct for any errors in achieving the desired EGR flow.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+2
Wednesday, October 7th, 2009 AT 10:22 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides