2002 Mercury Cougar EGR VALVE

JOSHUA1979
  • 2002 MERCURY COUGAR

Engine problem
2002 Mercury Cougar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 26000 miles

I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE/REPLACE THE EGR VALVE IN MY 2002 MERCURY COUGAR V6 DOHC 2.5L. A DIAGRAM AND/OR PICTURES WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL. CAN YOU GUYS HELP?

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 4:10 PM

MASTERTECHTIM

Why are you replacing it?

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 4:30 PM
JOSHUA1979

Simply Because My Light Is On:evil, And I Want My Car To Run/Operate Right. Can You Instruct Me As How To Replace And/Or "Fix" My Problem? : A Diagram, or Some Pictures Would Be Helpful.

Thanks A Million 8)

Wednesday, February 6th, 2008 AT 8:06 PM
MASTERTECHTIM

99 out of a hundred times the problem is not the valve, so if you would let me help you in your situation I will be glad to. But for me to spend the time to walk you through replacing a egr valve that does not need to be replaced seems a little redundant. Do you have a code for insufficient flow? Too much flow? Just trying to help.

Wednesday, February 6th, 2008 AT 8:25 PM
JOSHUA1979

The service rep. At auto zone said the code he pulled up when he hooked up the diagnostic machine was for insuffecient flow, and he told me the E.G.R. Valve needed to be replaced. He also suggested cleaning the piece, and he said something about plunging around the area when I took out the E.G.R. Valve. Do I simply need to clean the piece, or will I have to replace it? Either way, I still need to know how the location of the E.G.R. Valve on my car, and then I can remove/replace/and/or clean it. Please Help if you can.

Joshua

Thursday, February 7th, 2008 AT 8:25 PM
MARECHEK33

Did you ever find the location of the EGR Valve? I need to replace mine too, same situation. Thanks

-1
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 9:56 AM
MASTERTECHTIM

The problem is not the egr valve its likely to just be the egr pressure sensor. This sensor has 2 rubber lines going to it from the exhaust system and this is what sets the code. The sensor is held in by 2 little screws and the rubber hoses attach to it. Hope this helps

Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 5:18 AM
MARECHEK33

How do you know if it is the valve or the sensor then?

Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 8:20 AM
MASTERTECHTIM

You can apply vacuum to the valve and see if the engine idle changes(lower or stalls) or you can bet on the odds. 99 percent chance sensor is bad. 1 percent chance egr valve is bad. I have probably replaced the sensor 100 times opposed to never replacing a egr valve if that helps you make a decision.

Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 9:24 AM
BLUEJEWEL

If the sensor is bad would this cause my car to be stuttering when stopped?

Please advise when I went to auto zone they stated that it was the EGR Valve aftering reading this it may be my sensor just trying to figure out if that would make my car stutter when stopped.

Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 9:30 PM
GREYHEN

A STICKY EGR VALVE WILL CAUSE SURGEING AND DRIVABILITY ISSUES. IT MAY OR MAY NOT SET A TROUBLE CODE AND LIGHT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE THE VALVE IS STUCK AT.

IT TAKES ABOUT 1/2 HOUR TO CHANGE. AND COSTS ABOUT 135 DOLLARS FROM FORD I HAVE THE PART NUMBER IF YOU NEED IT I CAN GET PHOTO, S IF YOUSTILL NEED THEM

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 5:30 PM