2000 Mercury Cougar Still won't crank

JOBZAPCH
  • 2000 MERCURY COUGAR
Replaced battery and altenator but car still won't crank. Where is the fuseable link located & what does it look like?
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 11:07 AM

Do you have a theft system on your vehicle? Do you think the theft system might be causing a problem?

Have you done any testing at the starter relay in the battery junction box? Any testing, make sure the tranny is in neutral and the e-brake is set. The ground for the control side of the relay goes through the clutch switch then to the computer. I'm not sure if the computer actually grounds that circuit or monitors that circuit? Without a ground, the relay won't energize.

I can't talk to you about bypassing the relay, because of safety issues.
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 4:08 PM
JOBZAPCH
Yes I do have A THEFT sysyem. Not sure if that is the problem. BUt the guy who replace alt. Is a cert. Mechanic just having a hard time getting him to come back & finish job. Anyway he said that because I drove the car with a dead battery (had to jump it off several times to get it home) that the fuseable link is the first place to look for a problem. But just in case how to I test to the relay? How will I know if relay is energized? What do I use to preform test? Thanks so much for your help.
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 8:40 AM
The terminal for the load side of the relay is hot all the time. You can unplug the relay, use a test lite, check for voltage. The voltage for the control side of the relay, goes hot when you turn the key to crank.

If the relay has a diagram on it, the load side the symbol may look like an open switch, for the control side of the relay, the symbol may look like a coil.

Have a helper turn the key to crank, can you hear or feel the relay click? I think you would still need to check voltage on the load side.

If the theft system is causing a problem, even if you get the starter to crank by testing. It won't start.
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 9:32 AM