1990 MERCEDES BENZ REAR WHEEL SWAY UNDER POWER

• tg5457
  • 1990 Mercedes Benz

Other Category problem
1990 Other Mercedes Benz Models 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 215000 miles

My 1990 300CE sways and wiggles ONLY when the accelator is depressed and is most noticable as the speed increases. It will wiggle, sway and rock side to side in a rolling motion, which STOPS when I take my foot off the gas.

differential? Axles?

Friday, February 1st, 2008 AT 6:21 PM

• mastertechtim

There is a rubbr coupler that connects driveshaft to trans and rear end. One or both of yours is wasted. Hope this helps

Friday, February 1st, 2008 AT 6:23 PM
  • tg5457

Are you fairly confident that is the problem with the wiggle--could it be the differential itself?

Thanks TG

Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 6:10 PM
  • mastertechtim

Most definately the rubber coupling is going to wear out before the rear end will. In my opinion.

Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 6:14 PM
  • tg5457

The mercedes dealer replaced the differential bushings? Is that one of the ends? So is it then the other end at ther transmssion?

Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 6:16 PM
  • mastertechtim

It should be fairly simple to determine for any mechanic. Differential bushings are not the same thing as the coupler. I dont know what else to tell you besides get another mechanic to look at it.

Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 6:24 PM
  • tg5457

Thanks again. I'll have them look it again this week. I've spent over $2000 at mercedes on 3 different returns visists tring to fix this issue. They repalces motor mounts, transmission mounts, diff bushings,
front sawy bushings, 4 new tires. This car by the way is in superb condition 100% mercedes maitained, no accidents, original owner and maintained with blank checkbook.

If this is the fix, i'll send youa nice donation!

TG

Saturday, February 16th, 2008 AT 5:50 AM