WARNING ON DASH

2005 Mercedes Benz E220

lordharryh

March, 14, 2009 AT 7:35 PM

2005 Mercedes Benz E220 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

The is a red warning on the dash a picture of a battery and message visit workshop, I have checked the v belt on alternator it is o.K. Is there anything else I should look at any tips regards to what the problem might be. Many Thanks.

gfimotorcars

March, 16, 2009 AT 12:52 PM

It is very common on this vehicle to have this message caused by a failed voltage regulator which is part of the alternator. However the message can also be caused by a failed alternator or battery that is not holding a charge.

lordharryh

March, 21, 2009 AT 11:35 AM

Thank for the info I switched off all the aux and took it for a spin the warning cleared but a week later reappeared, any ideas?

gfimotorcars

March, 21, 2009 AT 1:50 PM

I'm not clear, did you replace the volatage regulator on the alternator?

lordharryh

March, 22, 2009 AT 2:53 PM

Thanks for you help, no I haven't done anything as yet I have had no problem with starting or running the car the warning disappears if I drive about 20 miles with no radio heater on ect. Do you recommend that I replace the voltage regulator? Are they readily available and is it a D.I.Y. Job to replace it. Thanks.

gfimotorcars

March, 22, 2009 AT 11:09 PM

If its going away after 20 mins then its more than likely not a voltage regulator, You may have a slight amperage draw from a component not turning fully off and drawing down your battery. Does the vehicle ever have a long crank before it starts? This warning in this case is telling you your battery voltage is low and will not turn off until the alternator charges the battery past the warning level. If this is an amperage draw it will eventually kill your battery when the car sits a couple days or even over night. If you have noticed the vehicle cranking for a longer time when you start it up in the morning then this is probably the case.

lordharryh

March, 23, 2009 AT 6:01 AM

No there is no problem when starting it fires up straight away after a short normal crank, the warning goes off after driving for 20 Miles. So it looks like it could well be loss of amperage and getting recharged via alternator, How can I check what is causing the amperage loss? Do you think I should get a trickle charger to keep battery topped up and what are the problems in charging the battery while it is still connected. Saying that the car is used daily so really it shouldn't need charging.
Thanks.

gfimotorcars

March, 24, 2009 AT 3:30 PM

You can use a trickle charger in the mean time however if this is an amperage draw you will want to remedy this soon. The testing for this will be time consuming and will require a lot of patience. You will need to first roll down all the windows and open the hood and trunk. Close the latches on both sides of the hood and at the trunk latch. Once these latches are closed go to your battery. Loosen the negative cable but do not remove just yet. With a multimeter set on amps clamp the negative lead on the post and the positive on the cable. Lock the vehicle with the remote key. Now remove the battery cable with the meter held firmly on both the cable and post. DO NOT BREAK THIS CIRCUIT once you have the cable and post appart. With your multimeter firmly attached it will read the amp draw from the vehicle. Let the vehicle set fro 20-30min while all the components go to sleep mode. You will see the amperage drop lower and lower. The reading when all components are asleep should be roughly 0.030amps. Anything much over this and you have a problem with a component not going to sleep. Now comes the fun. Note: do not open or close any doors or the trunk or hood as this will reactivate the vehicle and you will need to start over. Now with the vehicle asleep start unplugging fuses one by one. Check the meter after each is pulled to see if it drops into the correct range. If it does this is fuse is to the circuit of the component that is not going to sleep. This process can take some time so be patient. Also make sure you can access all of your fuse boxes to do this before you begin.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Cabin Air Filter Replacement