CHECK ENGINE LIGHT/COMPRESSOR CLUTC

1999 Mercedes Benz C230

JoeBronx

Engine problem
1999 Mercedes Benz C230 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 71000 miles

I have a 1999 C 230 Kompressor with 71K.
When my check engine light came on, my NEW and highly recommended mechanic ran a computer check. He found an ignition coil on #2 cylinder was bad and the car needed a tune up. He replaced the coil, did the tune up and replaced the stop light switch. The check engine light remained on. He discovered the compressor clutch was working erratically. Because what he’d done cost me $700, I asked if the compressor clutch replacement was critical. He said it wasn’t. Does all this sound okay? This shop has an excellent reputation but I have to wonder about the computer not being specific in the diagnosis process. Any input greatly appreciated.

Jack42

January, 10, 2008 AT 7:41 AM

Ask what the exact code/codes were on the original scan and the one after repairs. Did the light come on soon after original work or was it a few days?

JoeBronx

Jack,
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town. As I said in my original post, when the Check engine Light first came on I took the car the mechanic. He said the codes indicated a faulty coil on #2 cylinder and a needed tune up. He did both but the LIGHT REMAINED ON. It was then that he said the Kompresser clutch was engaging erratically. The work done cost me $700 and because he said not repairing the Kompresser clutch would not harm the engine, I didn't do the repair. The Check Engine Light remained on.
I guess my question is, his reputation aside, should he have been able to determine the Kompersser Clutch was a problem from the beginning, or is it reasonable to believe it only revealed itself after he did the coil replacement and the tuneup when the Check Engine Light continued to burn? Hope that is clear.
Thanks again.

Jack42

I would say that he was trying to get rid of the misfire before anything else. Sometimes an engine miss can create other codes