BRAKES

1991 Mercedes Benz 420sel

Theo Zicko

July, 20, 2010 AT 1:17 PM

Brakes problem
1991 Mercedes Benz 420sel V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

How difficult is it to replace L & R rear calipers, pads and sensors on this car? I have done this on an early model Volvo but on this car I do not know. Right now after installing a new master cylinder, the rear
caliper pistons that hit the disk now do not withdraw completely and consequently it feels llike a slight drag while the car is moving. The sensors apparently are constantly in contact because they are melting. I have tried lubricating the pistons that fail to withdraw once your foot is off the brake but they fail to do so. Any suggestions as to how I can correct this problem? I guess the new master cylinder is exerting too much pressure on the old calipers. Can removing some of the brake fluid help the situation?

Docfixit

July, 20, 2010 AT 2:57 PM

Hi
Recheck part number for master for your car make sure it is for a four wheel disc brake. If master is for rear drums it has a check valve that holds residual pressure to rears so caliper will be partialy applied.
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear