ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM1993 MERCEDES BENZ ...

1993 Mercedes Benz 400sel

hayleystarkk

June, 3, 2009 AT 11:44 PM

1993 Mercedes Benz 400sel V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

will start and idle at1500rpm then ASR light comes on and the RPM falls to 500. The car has no power at all
rough idle, In trying to fix the problem ive replaced distributer cap and rotors, wiring harness, MAF, throttle actuator, has good compression, strong gas smell (almost doesnt smell like gas) Please help!

Veronica.

Jack42

June, 4, 2009 AT 7:49 AM

I have forwarded your question to our M/B tech. He will be with you shortly, thank you for your patience

gfimotorcars

June, 4, 2009 AT 1:06 PM

A faulty fuel pressure regulator is common on this vehicle and will cause what you are describing (except for the ASR light). These regulators are known to leak internally and will cause rough and low idle, and no power. Also if you are smelling something similar to a rotten egg rather than gasoline you may have a failed catalytic converter that can also cause the same complaints. As for the ASR light you have a stored and current fault code that can be read from the vehicle with a MB handheld code reader (dealership item) however the Acceleration Slip Regulation (ASR) is probably not causing your issue as this is a component that is more related to the Traction system rather than engine performance. The reason they are occuring at the same time is related to the self check that the vehicle does when turned on rather than them being a cause and effect issue.

hayleystarkk

June, 17, 2009 AT 10:50 PM

Ok, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and now it will idle at 800, but I still have a strong gas smell, and no power, and backfire through the intake, so I disconnected the drivers side coil and the car ran the same. A few minutes after I did that I reconected it, and started it a few times, and now it won't even turn over, just makes a clicking sound. I check the fuses and they are good, the battery has a full charge, so im still with the same problem: (
Veronica.

gfimotorcars

June, 19, 2009 AT 8:55 PM

Can you indicate where exactly the gas smell is strongest on the vehicle. Is it closer to the engine by or gas tank. Are you noticing any fuel hitting the ground, like a fuel line leak. The intake backfire is a possible sign that the vehicle is running lean (possibley because of a fuel leak). Check along the firewall for leaks as often times they can go unnoticed along this area. Let me know what you find

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe