CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ALWAYS ON

1990 Mercedes Benz 300te

chriscw

June, 7, 2010 AT 12:07 PM

1990 Mercedes Benz 300te 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 225000 miles

despite having had a major service, a new transmission, a replaced BDU, O2 sensor, Cam sensor, I still have this problem.

Normal use around town at town speeds fine. However, when I go on the freeway and stay at higher speeds for a longer period the car rev counter plummets as I come off the exit and stalls. I can immediately re-start it but the tick-over goes lower and always feels like it wants to stall. Have tried endless visits to the shop with no cure as yet. The car runs fine in all other respects and is in great condition. Just need to cure this problem. The check engine light is constantly on and even after it is reset it usually comes back on within a day, followed by more stalling.

Any Ideas? Help!

June, 7, 2010 AT 12:17 PM

Hi chriscw, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis, finding out what's going on.

chriscw

June, 7, 2010 AT 12:32 PM

Hi. This has all been done, endless times, by so called specialists. The' starting point', the engine management system has been checked again and again and again! And the result has been the same. They say they have fixed it and a day later it comes back. With respect the shop I took it to said exactly the same thing, and five visits later and $1500 I am no better off. Sorry, but you'll have to come up with something a little more in depth please. Thanks. Chris.

June, 7, 2010 AT 6:25 PM

I'm sorry without me knowing what's triggering the CEL I'm unable to proceed