MAKES GEAR NOISE IN REVERSE

1991 Mercedes Benz 300e

sptt144

August, 18, 2009 AT 11:59 PM

1991 Mercedes Benz 300e 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170, 00 miles

Hi guys. Have a '91 300E. Runs like a champ but just started making a noise when going in reverse. If I put it in Neutral and drift back testing brakes, no problem. Shift into reverse and clackety clack noise happens which sounds like it is coming from front right area (which is why I thought it was the new brake pads or something). No problem in Drive, no slipping and plenty of power (no noises either). Whattaya think? Do I have transmission problems?

Dr. Hagerty

August, 19, 2009 AT 8:47 AM

Thank you for a thoughtful description of your problem. Some respondents dont think to include details as you have. It does seem as if there is a transmission issue with your car, as to exactly what is at risk is very difficult to say without hearing the sounds myself, and cyberspace is limiting in that aspect. Perhaps you might consider getting a live opinion from an MBZ tech that can see the car and perhaps perform some basic diagnostics.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service