DID MY IGNITION BARREL NEED CHANG

2001 Mercedes Benz 220cdi

talhat

March, 23, 2010 AT 7:39 AM

2001 Mercedes Benz 220cdi 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 164000 miles

please advice me I have the above car and have been experiencing problems starting it up for a few months. When it wouldnt start I took it to a garage and said it wont start it has a problem with the key or the barrel. He said the key is fine and charged £600 for a new barrel. After this my key wouldnt recognice the barrel even after re-programming he is now saying the key has died and I need a new key. He says that when the barrel went it took the keys electronics with it. Is this possible. Could the fault have been with t he key in the first instance and I have just paid for a new barrel.

Dr Loot

July, 27, 2010 AT 10:59 AM

Obviously you took it to someone that did not know anything about Mercedes, I am without insufficient information to determine if it was the key problem, did the key over the lock? Did the engine crank? Most likely the only problem you had was the batteries were low or dead in your remote key, or if you notice on the barrel of the key there is around black plastic ring that is your key recognizer, it requires special tools only from the dealer to determine and program recognition problems with the key. I recently had to take a customer's Mercedes to the dealer with the same problem and cost $64 for them to reprogram the key.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe