Mazda B2200 engine trouble HELP!

SOURANDMOULDY
  • 2012 MAZDA TRUCK
My truck is a 1991 Mazda B2200, Carbureted model. 2wd manuel trans. 130,000km, synthetic oil only and babied.

The truck ran perfectly, then sat for about 1 year, now it will start (most of the time) Idle rarely, and stall all the time. It sometimes stalls right away, sometimes after 10 minutes and sometimes after a few days. I will let it idle and it will almost stall for a few minutes then run perfectly, and vise versa. It usually lacks power, and sputters, cold or warm doesn't affect it, the level of gas has no effect. It does not burn oil, or have any other problems.

I will start by telling you the parts I have changed (in hind sight a stupid move)
Fuel pump, Fuel filter, Fuel filler neck(+ drained tank), Rebuilt carb (removed rust built up from filler neck), air filter, wires, cap and rotor, plugs. New vacuum lines. Checked egr and timing.
I've taken this truck to three separate shops and after extensive work, problems remained unsolved.

I've noticed slight improvements (brief) from the plugs/ wires and rotor.

Please HELP I've been defeated and am out of idea's. Very sad. The wife and dog look at me differently.

Sam
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 6:22 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Sam,
Just keep starin that dog down, or he might get brave enough to try to show dominance. Don't get on the floor.

Is that a 22re motor?
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 6:54 PM
SOURANDMOULDY
I'm sorry to say I don't know if it's a 22re motor or not. Is this information that I can get from the VIN? What is a 22re? Thanks for your time

Sam
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 8:08 PM
SERVICE WRITER
I think there was a 22r and 22re motor. There should be a sticker under the hood with the engine spec printed on it. The 22re had an Idle problem, I'll try to jog some memories and get back tomorrow.
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 8:20 PM
SOURANDMOULDY
The closest thing I can find after searching the truck (in the dark with a flash light of course) Reads.

Engine Family : MTK2.2T2HFGH

If thats useless info.I'm sorry. If not then thanks again, I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sam
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 8:38 PM
SERVICE WRITER
I was swamped for a change at work, and never checked what I wanted. I think it was cam position sensor adjustment. I'll try again. Sorry.
Thursday, February 22nd, 2007 AT 5:48 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Sorry, brain fell out, It was a toyota truck. Cosmo is our resident mazda pro.
Friday, February 23rd, 2007 AT 2:14 PM
SOURANDMOULDY
No worries. It's not going anywhere. Yet, I'll keep checking in, thanks for your time
Friday, February 23rd, 2007 AT 10:18 PM
TREKINOUS
My girlfriend had the same truck and the same problem. Turned out that one of the hundreds of vaccume hoses was cracked. It still slightly did it after replacing the hose and if we pushed the pedal once prior to starting the truck it would set the chocke, and if we let it run for about 10 minutes witht the chocke set it would run fine after that.
Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 9:37 PM
Do this -remove the air filter cover-block the choke wide open and fire it up-now observe the idle. If it improves reset the the fast idle and choke pulloff-
Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 10:02 PM
COSMO
Just thought I would ask. When you say 'rebuilt carb'. Do you mean YOU rebuilt it or that you had it rebuilt or that it is a rebuilt carb?

One major problem with the carbs on the b2200 engines was the idle mixture solenoid going faulty. This would cause a stall and hick-up condition in the motor.

Another commonly overlooked problem was the ignition coil. Feel the bottom of the coil for corrosion and a fluid leak fro mthe coil.

Cosmo. Mazda TEch
Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 AT 5:59 AM
SOURANDMOULDY
Thanks for all the replies! Just checked them and I will try everything bright and early tomorrow. I paid a carb shop to "rebuild" it. He said it was filled with rust from the fuel filler neck, cleaned it and replaced gaskets and? Made no difference. The vacuum lines were inspected and mostly replaced (but I'll give them a thorough once over again)Thanks again everyone, I will let you know how I make out tomorrow.
Sam
Friday, March 9th, 2007 AT 8:11 PM
SOURANDMOULDY
Wouldn't you know it I can not get the stupid thing to stall now I've run it daily, and it's been perfect! It's done this before but shouldn't last long, I'll let you know when something changes. Thanks again.

Sam
Thursday, March 15th, 2007 AT 2:46 PM
HELLCAT18
If it's got an air cleaner in it like an '86 then my suggestion is to pull apart the air cleaner and take out all the little presents that the rodents left you the year that it sat. I left my '86 sitting for only 4 months and I had to pull Ladibugs and whole cernal corn out of the little silver egsost thing on the side and clean the filters that they have in um. Don't be afraid to take those filters apart and wash um with a decent amount of dish soap if their full of oil either. I did and picked up 12-15 horses on my beat up old engine.
Thursday, March 29th, 2007 AT 11:52 PM