RUNS LIKE A 2 STROKE

2004 Mazda RX8

juniorm321

September, 30, 2010 AT 3:41 PM

2004 Mazda RX8 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 82, 00 miles

My sons car b4 he left started running like a 2 stroke once in a while.I drove it down the road ran rough then cleaned out after 30 mph. Turned around and got home and noticed that the catylic converter glowing red hot and that was only 3 min of driving. Local mechanic said put new plugs in and had low compression in 2 cyl? Not sure My question, posible to replace o2 sensor or really need new engine. Thank you

mabele87

March, 4, 2011 AT 3:54 AM

For starters its not a 4 cyl its a rotory engine no cylinders just two rotors, four pluges. As for you problem its seems to me that the cat would be pluged up. These motors are bad for carbon build up and id say that the carbon has also built up in the cat and pluged it. To resolve it get whats called a decarb done to it and maybe it will clear up the build up and maybe replace the cat. And beat on it every once in awhile to clean it out.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast