BATTERY COMPONENT

2004 Mazda RX8

blakemeyer

December, 20, 2009 AT 2:43 PM

2004 Mazda RX8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 83000 miles

there is a small black plastic box with a fuse on the top of it. An L shaped hinge looking piece of metal extends from that. From the end of that is the turminal conector that attatches to the possitive turminal of my battery. No auto parts store can find this and only one dealership could but the cost is 600 dollars. Do I need this part or can I just hook the wires straight to my turminal? Please help. I dont feal like spending another 600 dollars on a peice of plastic.

mhpautos

December, 20, 2009 AT 4:09 PM

Hi there, this is a main system fuse, if it is faulty, you should be able top pick one up at wreckers, look at this option first.

blakemeyer

December, 20, 2009 AT 4:42 PM

I have looked for hours on end on the internet for this part. I cant find it. Is this part needed for my car to start or can I cut and strip the wires and hook it up to my battery without using this small plastic box with a fuse on top of it that reads 09?

mhpautos

December, 20, 2009 AT 4:48 PM

The plastic box it just a protective housing, is this a block type fuse? That is one that is bolted to the wire via a terminal pad? Or a large block fuse that pushes in with large terminals in the base? Regardless you will need th have this fuse in the system, how it is connected to the battery is irrelevant, as long as it is secure and wont touch earth.

blakemeyer

December, 20, 2009 AT 8:08 PM

It has a wire that snaps into the bottom of the black box. At the top of that black box is a fuse. And in the middle a bolt holding the l shaped peice of metal that boltes to the battery

mhpautos

December, 20, 2009 AT 9:11 PM

I will try and find a pic so I can be sure, but as I said in the last post, I feel that it is just a protective housing and as long as the fuse is fitted and insulated it should be fine, but I will try and check it out further.

Mark

Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Alternator testing done right