2003 Mazda Protege hesitating / misfiring, rough idle: happ

RPENFI77
  • 2003 MAZDA PROTEGE
Hey guys,

My car has started acting up. For the last month or so the engine occasionally starts acting up (frequency has increased in last week or so) Under constant throttle, engine will hesitate and sputter, seems like something's misfiring. During this time, if I put the car in neutral, the rpm's go very low and the car feels like it wants to stall. However, this occurrence doesn't happen all the time, but seems like it occurs once the engine is warmed up. It will come and go randomly, but if I rev the car up that usually fixes it. As of today, check engine light came on, code is P0401, "EGR System Insufficient Flow Detected", but I fear this may be a symptom, not the underlying problem. HELP!

thanks,
Bob
Tuesday, July 29th, 2008 AT 12:07 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi rpenfi77,

Thank you for the donations.

You are correct about the error code being the symptom as it is not refering to a specific item malfunctioning.

Possible causes
1. EGR valve carbon deposit high resulting in partial clogging. Cleaning/replacement required.

2. Exhaust passage to EGR valve is clogged resulting in poor flow.

3. EGR valve lift insufficient due to weak vacumn or malfunctioning solenoid.
Thursday, July 31st, 2008 AT 10:28 AM