5 BRAKES

2002 Mazda Protege

trippypeanut

September, 3, 2006 AT 1:25 AM

Hi I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5 with 139000kms on it. We noticed the brakes were squealing so we brought it into the dealer for a brake inspection which reported that the rear brake calipers had siezed. From asking around we've been informed that this is nearly impossible with a 2002, so I'm wondering if this is true or not. As well, we had brought it in 6 months ago for an inspection and asked to have the brake pads changed but they told us it wasn't necessary as they were at 70%, so my other question iis, Is this a problem that can occur in a 6 month period and would changing th brake pads have prevented it? Thanks for any advice.

Front Disc Pads

Rear Brake Pads

syncrait

September, 3, 2006 AT 6:13 AM

Well if you havent had the work done already you can check yourself. If you remove the wheel that they say has a bad caliper. And remove the mounting bolts for the caliper itself there is a rubber boot on the backside that protects the caliper piston if that boot is ripped or mangled the caliper is possibly seized if you notice it isnt id get a second opinion. As for the statement its imposible for a 2002 to not have problems I do not know myself but in my expirence if it has moving parts it can and will fail at some time. Good luck : )

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear