2002 Mazda Protege 2002 Protege 5 Rear brakes How do I

FELLOWSJA
  • 2002 MAZDA PROTEGE

Brakes problem
2002 Mazda Protege 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 115000 miles

I am in the process of replacing the rear pads on my 2002 Protege 5. I've got the wheel off, the calipers off and the pads out, but I can't get brake piston to go back in (I have been attemping to use a C-clamp).

How can I get that brake piston back in the housing so the new pads will fit?

Saturday, July 26th, 2008 AT 1:14 PM

DOCFIXIT

Remove the park brake lever. You must rotate and apply downwade pressure. With C-clamp apply some force then rotate piston clockwise with channel locks.
Thank you for your donation

-1
Saturday, July 26th, 2008 AT 1:42 PM
BLACKTIERI

DocFixit doesn't know. I just fixed my own last week, with the same problem as you.

Just remove the Caliber like normal take the brake pad out, Then look directly behind the biston. There is a Bolt. Unscrew that big bolt, underneath it is an Allen Head Screw. Unscrew that and the piston should back its way into the caliber, Easy!

If you take it to a care shop they'll charge 600 dollars!

My way takes fifteen minutes. Check online mazda forums next time.

+2
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008 AT 12:01 PM
STEVEKRANS

Blacktieri hit the nail on the head with this one! I was just doing my rear brakes and got stumped at this spot. I saw this bolt when I first removed the calipers, but thought it was part of the mounting for the parking brake. Just make sure that the allen head screw inside stays in when you are done, it can fall out.

+1
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 9:14 PM
CHOOSNEK

Just in the process of changing my rear brakes and rotors. When I tried to back off the screw to adjust the piston, I discovered the screw just turns on the spot. I read in other forums that these cars are notorious for that screw stripping. The questions is, do I need to buy new calipers, or is there another alternative to back off the piston?

+3
Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 1:52 AM