1999 Mazda Protege

GONECOUNTRY
  • 1999 MAZDA PROTEGE
1999 Mazda Protege 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

I have a 1999 mazda protege 1.6liter, problems started with it just running a little rough. I tried fuel cleaner and higher octane gas but the problem just got worse. It started cutting out when going up hills or accelerating when passing. Now its all the time, ideling, driving slow, fast, all the time. I was thinking it could be the fuel pump or the maf sensor but im not sure. Im just looking for a little advice.
Thursday, May 1st, 2008 AT 7:46 PM

PHX70
I just had the same problem a few days ago. At first I thought it was the MAF senser. Upon looking at engine while ideling, I noticed the air-hose between the air-cleaner box and engine was cracked in the ribbed section. I duct taped the leaking hose just to verify it that was the problem, it was so I purchase a new hose. Mazda stocks the part. I paid 43.25 for it. Runs fine again. I hope this helps.
Sunday, May 4th, 2008 AT 7:29 AM