1997 Mazda Protege Battery wont hold a charge

WYOREDNECK
  • 1997 MAZDA PROTEGE
1997 Mazda Protege

I am trying to fix my brothers car the battery will not hold a charge. I have replaced the battery twice the altenator, battery cables, and the main relay. With a jump it will start and run for a few minutes, and all day on the new battery, but then the airbag light starts to flash and the battery goes dead.
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 AT 11:26 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi WyoRedneck,

Thank you for the donation.

Problem seems to be from the charging system. I would suggest testing the charging voltage between battery terminals and between alternator mast and engine ground.

Charging voltage should be between 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If after initial starting, the charging voltage is ok, let it run for a few minutes and recheck. If the voltage drops, it could be due to a faulty alternator or the alternator is not turning at the required speed due to a bad crank pulley. The harminic damper could have detached itself causing the problem. You might have intermittent belting noise.
+1
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 AT 1:10 PM
WYOREDNECK
I tested it I am getting no charge from the altenator to the battery. I had the altenator tested it is good so now what?
+2
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 AT 8:21 PM
WYOREDNECK
+1
Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 AT 8:53 AM
KHLOW2008
Is the charge indicator light showing with ignition switch ON and engine OFF?

Is the charging indicator light showing with engine running?

At alternator main terminal, is there battery voltage with engine off and 13.5 or more volts with engine running? If yes and at battery terminals battery voltage is less than 13.5, the connection from battery to alternator is bad.

Check for a broken Black/White wire connection from alternator to battery. Check the 100 A fuse in main fuse block under hood.
Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 AT 8:55 AM
WYOREDNECK
Yes the charge indicator light showing with ignition switch ON and engine OFF.

Yes the charging indicator light showing with engine running.

Yes at the altenator termial there is 13.5 volts.

At the battery teminal it is only 5 volts.

The fuse was one of the first things we changed and we have replace all of the wires except the one from the starter to the altenator.
+1
Friday, May 8th, 2009 AT 1:25 PM
KHLOW2008
The Alternator main wire ( Black/White ) does not go to the starter. It is linked from the main fuse box to the altrnator terminal main mast.

Check the fuse box harness connector below.

Try attaching a wire from alternator to battery and run engine to check if indicator light goes off.

Here is a schematic of the charging system.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ChargingCircuit97Protege01_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ChargingCircuit97Protege02_1.jpg

+2
Saturday, May 9th, 2009 AT 9:01 AM