1992 Mazda Protege TIMING BELT ISSUE?

SAMIRVZW
  • 1992 MAZDA PROTEGE
Ok heres my prob, I my head gasket blew, I took it upon myself to change it with help of the infamous misleading Haynes Manual. After finishing up with the head, I replaced the timing belt. Now when I start the car there is a loud knocking noise, almost as if the valve and pistons are hitting. However timing marks are accurate and timing was set on the compression stroke, everything appears to be in good shape, I'm scared to start the car again. I've checked everything over and over again. Also when I took the head off I took it to a local shop to get it plained and valve seals replaced, etc. When I got the head back the exhaust camshaft was broken, I took it back to the shop and they replaced it with a new one and that is where the noise seems to be coming from, but I might be wrong. Could anyone help? Riding a bike hasnt been working out for me. Thanks in advance
Friday, March 28th, 2008 AT 3:51 PM

JACK42
It is also possible that the one or more of the exhaust valves may have been bent if the head was set down on the mating surface with the cams installed. Does the engine run rough when it is making the noise? Try rotating the engine by hand (plugs out) to see if it has any interference
Saturday, March 29th, 2008 AT 8:23 AM
SAMIRVZW
It seems to work fine, and i've checked the compression, appears to be good. I've also taken the plugs out and I rotated the engine and no sound or interference.
Saturday, March 29th, 2008 AT 9:10 AM
JACK42
If comp is good, then it may be a sticky valve or follower in the head. Might be looking at tear-down to find the problem
Sunday, March 30th, 2008 AT 7:53 AM
SAMIRVZW
I was afraid of that, but since there is no interference, would it be bad to just drive the car? I know im asking a dumb question. And also no possibility of a diff camshaft being installed?
Sunday, March 30th, 2008 AT 10:48 AM
JACK42
Im wondering if the cam journals got mived up and the new cam is binding in the head or something to that effect. I cant condone driving it, unless you are ok with it. Lol
Monday, March 31st, 2008 AT 7:14 AM
SAMIRVZW
Ha, I figured out what it was, those caps that sit on top of valves and are pushed down by the camshaft, not sure what they are called, anyway they are either hydraulic or have springs in them and they are worn out. However it was your sticky valve suggestion that gave me the idea to take the camshafts back off. Thanks a lot man!
Monday, March 31st, 2008 AT 7:41 PM
JACK42
Those are the cam followers, good find
Tuesday, April 1st, 2008 AT 7:44 AM