OIL LEAK

1996 Mazda MX6

minnowmouse

June, 17, 2008 AT 8:39 PM

1996 Mazda MX6 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 135000 miles

As I drove home this evening I smelled oil burning, no lights came on and car was not overheating. I opened the hood of my car and it was smoking. I checked water levels and oil level - everything was fine. I went out to check again about 1/2 hour later and started the car to check it for overheating.

Then I looked under my car and there was about 1/4 cup of oil that had poured out of my car. I moved it to the street and it left a small streak of leakage along the driveway. I checked it again about an hour later and there was just a small pool of oil under the car. I didn't check oil level again because it was dark outside.

What do you think it could be? When I looked closely at the engine, it looked like oil was spilled up high in the engine, about same level as oil filter - but not coming from oil filter.

Oil Leak From Engine

mhpautos

June, 17, 2008 AT 10:06 PM

Hi there,

Check the oil pressure switch, as these are often the cause of this excessive oil leak, I will try and post a pic of it's location soon.

minnowmouse

June, 18, 2008 AT 5:43 AM

Thanks for your reply; I'll look in my manual but don't think it has that much info. I'll wait for you to post picture today if possible!

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front