1996 MAZDA MX6 OIL LEAK

• minnowmouse
  • 1996 Mazda MX6

1996 Mazda MX6 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 135000 miles

As I drove home this evening I smelled oil burning, no lights came on and car was not overheating. I opened the hood of my car and it was smoking. I checked water levels and oil level - everything was fine. I went out to check again about 1/2 hour later and started the car to check it for overheating.

Then I looked under my car and there was about 1/4 cup of oil that had poured out of my car. I moved it to the street and it left a small streak of leakage along the driveway. I checked it again about an hour later and there was just a small pool of oil under the car. I didn't check oil level again because it was dark outside.

What do you think it could be? When I looked closely at the engine, it looked like oil was spilled up high in the engine, about same level as oil filter - but not coming from oil filter.

Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 AT 8:39 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Check the oil pressure switch, as these are often the cause of this excessive oil leak, I will try and post a pic of it's location soon.

Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 AT 10:06 PM
  • minnowmouse

Thanks for your reply; I'll look in my manual but don't think it has that much info. I'll wait for you to post picture today if possible!

Wednesday, June 18th, 2008 AT 5:43 AM