WONT START

1994 Mazda MX3

dubois64

1994 Mazda MX3 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 23 k miles

i have had the spark plugs, distributior cap, fuel relay, all changed but it would not turn over. I tested the spark plugs and I can hear the fuel pump turnin on, I can also smell gas. Its been fluddin wen I try to start it. The oil smells like gas from flooding. The problem started when it got really cold. It would run but when the rpms got up it sputtered. Then another cold night it just wouldnt start. Can it be out of time? Or is it some sensor I dont know about?
im confused. Please help. Oh yeah when it was running and sputterin I can hear a poppin noise from the muffler.

2CarPros Ken

Hi, it sounds like you may have a fuel injector that has shorted, remove all connectors and perform a ohms check on all injectors, if one of the readings is way off leave that injector disconnected and re-connect the others. The engine should run ok, but on 5 cylinders, if so replace the shorted injector and recheck. Please let me know. Thanks for using 2carpros. Com

dubois64

Well they seem ok is there something else that can be wrong? I just remembered; its started a month earlier. When I shifted into second gear it would loose power, and when I let off on the gas it would catch power again. This only happened on certain days like cold ones. Oh yeah I think the flooding happened wen I got my buddy to start it, and he pumped the heck out of it when it was cold and it started the first time, but on the second day he did it again and it didnt start.

2CarPros Ken

Hi, it sounds like you are loosing spark, when the engine stalls can you check to see if spark is pressent? follow this video for step by step instructions

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm

let me know how is goes

dubois64

Well it was a faulty spark plug wire, so I changed the wires, but it wont keep running. Its starts but it starts to die down right away I have to let of on the gas and I can get the rpm up to 3 and it sounds fine but wen I let off on the gas it wants to die. Popping sounds come from the muffer.

2CarPros Ken

January, 19, 2009 AT 10:39 AM

Sounds like we are getting closer, good, the popping fron the exhaust sounds like it could be a timing adjustment. Lets check the timing and get back to me.

dubois64

January, 21, 2009 AT 10:41 AM

Ok well before I do that head ache of a job, can I rule out the fuel pump by doing an ohm's test? What reading am I looking for, or do I just look for the reading to go all out of wack? Because I can get at the wires through the back seat, and I can change the pump from the back seat as well.I can hear the pump turn on but I was told it can still be the pump. And about the timing. I dont have a timing light yet, but I was thinking if I can just mess with the distributor cap and lossen it and turn it and keep track of how much I turn it and where I started from. Oh yeah I will donate another 5 after this question.

2CarPros Ken

Hi, the best way to see what is happening with the fuel system is to perform a pressure test. please check this video for reference.

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/test_fuel_pressure.htm

As far as the engine timing you can mark the distributor and move it slightly each way and check the results.

please let me know what happens.

dubois64

Stupid thing still wont start. Dont know what to do next.

2CarPros Ken

Does it have spark? And fuel pressure? Also remove the spark plugs to see what they look like, if there are havely sooted the engine will not start.

dubois64

Well I took the fuel rail off and ohms tested them and they all read 13.7 ohms. Fuel pump is turning on, and as far as im concerned the fuel pressure seems good. While taking off the fuel rail I came across some exposed wires on top of the distributor cap. The color of the wires are blue pink and yellow. I didnt try it yet cause im going to get those fuel injectors tested. I followed the wires and they come from the fire wall.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement