1998 MAZDA MPV ENGINE FAILURE

• psub
  • 1998 Mazda MPV

Engine problem
1998 Mazda MPV 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

engine died and won't restart. Acted like it ran out of fuel. Added fuel to the tank. Replaced the fuel filter. Burned up the starter trying to start it. Replaced the starter. It acts like it wants to start. It even hits and fire a few times but won't start. Checked the spark plug arc. It is orange rather than the blue arc I expected. Please help.

also replaced spark plugs and tried to change timing.

Wednesday, December 26th, 2007 AT 11:56 AM

• Jack42

Fuel pressure? Need to install a manual gauge to verify it has enough to run the van

Friday, December 28th, 2007 AT 8:10 AM
  • psub

I think the fuel is ok. I can smell strong gas sell from the tail pipe and plugs are wet when I pull them to check. I also had the local repair shop check the computer for engine codes. The only problem he saw was the air intake temp sensor showed -11 degrees while outside temp was 34 degrees. He said he didn't think that would keep the engine from starting. No other problems were detected by his rather sophisticated diagnostic equipment. We couldn't check the codes detected from the last run cycle because when I replaced the starter I disconnected the battery and all information was erased.

Friday, December 28th, 2007 AT 11:44 AM
  • Jack42

If you can smell fuel, unplug the pump or all the injectors and do a compression test to see if it has enough to run

Saturday, December 29th, 2007 AT 6:55 AM
  • psub

Thank you for your help. I finally ended turning it over to my car repair shop. They found a bad crankshaft sensor and timing belt coming apart. $400.00 and a day and half in the shop and we're moving again. I really wanted to save the money and fix it myself. Your help was great. Thanks!

Sunday, December 30th, 2007 AT 10:25 PM
  • Jack42

Have Happy New Year

Monday, December 31st, 2007 AT 8:41 AM